Thinking of intelligent Edge Computing solutions?
What is Edge Computing?
Over the last 2 years, discussions around ‘Edge’ or ‘Edge Computing’ have been plentiful.
The basic principle of edge computing is to have computing power closer to the end user. This is done to decrease the latency of computing from the user back to the Data Centre, and then back again.
There are many areas of our daily life that are viewed as perfect opportunities for edge type of applications, some of these include retail, banking, hospitality, office spaces and medical.
While the term edge Computing is seemingly just now gaining industry traction the concept is not new and the application itself is often referred to in a variety of ways:
- Micro Data Centre
- Mini Data Centre
- Localised Data Centre
- Distributed Computing
- Regional Data Centre
Putting it simply, edge can be defined as the processing and analysing of data along a network edge, closest to the point of its collection, so that data becomes actionable.
Why Edge Computing?
There are considerable advantages to moving computing workloads from the cloud closer to where the data is produced.
Some of these include:
Challenges of Edge Computing
With any new technology adoption and deployment, challenges are a given. Edge computing is no different. Some of these include:
- Latency: Although latency decreases as you get closer to the edge there is a nuance to be considered. Layers in the chain are connected and dependent on one another - you cannot have low-latency edge devices if you do not have the right connectivity to the data centre and cloud.
- Cost: Deploying and managing an edge computing environment can be costly especially when sourcing products from many different vendors. Occasionally these costs can exceed the project’s financial benefits.
- Bandwidth: Sending big data back and forth from things to the cloud can consume enormous bandwidth and cause network congestion with data capacity essential in many IoT applications.
- Security: The extension of footprint in an edge environment can increase the surface for attacks. Increased security risks become much more likely for things such as connecting to devices, transporting data, handling data-at-rest, and updating systems.
- Space: Edge environments are physically a lot smaller in comparison to traditional data centres. These environments require physically smaller network solutions. in industries such as retail, space is a premium and getting the right edge solution (physical infrastructure) to fit within this small area can prove extremely challenging.
- Compliance: With data now being kept in another environment (edge) compliance remains a challenge; data needs to be kept within geographical boundaries and not shared where it does not need to.
- Legacy-system bridge: Legacy machines may not be able to connect to very modern IoT solutions.
- Complexity: Setting up Edge computing can prove extremely complex. Both physical infrastructure and connectivity need to be given considerable attention. The wrong solution can be the difference between being able to deliver superior customer experience and customer disappointment.
- Support: businesses often do not have the in-house expertise to deploy or manage an edge computing environment. ‘IT Managers’ often don’t know how big the project will become, how to bring together disparate systems, how to collect data from varied assets in real-time, and can’t predict how the project may grow and change over time. Without support deployment can get delayed and end up being costly with no real benefit.
No matter what the challenge, or how large it may seem, we have you covered.
When thinking of Edge: 1) Think Ortronics, 2) Think Rack IT. Stack IT. Connect IT.
‘Ortronics at the Edge’ – Think Ortronics
Ortronics offers intelligent, edge computing solutions that simplify your remote IT infrastructure and management needs by offering flexibility and scalability through a depth of physical infrastructure and network connectivity products.
Ortronics can best meet the needs of your space and budget through one vendor wherever your edge deployment is, with the resources and people to support it.
- Simplify edge deployments with our physical infrastructure and connectivity solutions – designed to simplify your specification and installation process. Purposeful design of all components takes the guess work out of integration for a seamless solution that is guaranteed to work together.
- Single-source ordering simplifies rapid scalable deployment. Decrease time spent figuring out which parts to choose, time waiting on a quote, time delays from shipping. It eliminates the need for multiple vendors and products that don’t fit together.
- Industry leading platforms such as our well acclaimed vertical wall-mount cabinet and our the recently launched Infinium Fibre Enclosure - ensuring we have the leading solution for your environment.
- Minimise latency not only by deploying the right equipment in the right place, but most importantly with the right connectivity. Ortronics infamous copper cabling, innovative fibre optics and reliable transceivers ensures deployment functions in near real-time.
- Maximise density with innovative physical infrastructure and connectivity that supports your equipment.
- Compliance is ensured across your business making it easier to eliminate any rogue spending.
- Project Management: Partnership from initial design through technology refresh, with both pre and post sales technical support.
Think Rack IT. Stack IT. Connect IT.
No matter what size or how critical your edge application is, Ortronics has designed the solution to ‘Rack, Stack and Connect’ your edge environment ensuring every need is met from specification to deployment.